Multiple ratings within
Chapter 6: Blast and Cosmos I
Title: Package
Rating: PG
Summary: There's a strange package
in his office
There was a box.
A box was sitting on his desk.
Cosmos looked around himself
uncertainly, as if double-checking that there was no one else in the
room. But of course, the small office was devoid of anybody else,
with the exception of him and his telescope. So who had left the
package?
The pyrenees shuffled forwards slowly,
setting down his books on the only free space -his chair- as he
studied the shiny, green box. It didn't look harmful- in fact, it
looked like it was a gift of some sort. But who could have left it?
Cosmos did not have many visitors at his office, and even when he
did, something usually was knocked out of place.
He was ashamed to admit, though while
he was a good astronomer and respected member of the Science
Department, he was terrible at organization and tidiness when it came
to his own office. Some joked that it looked as if one of Wheeljack's
inventions went off in here. Even Wheeljack himself poked fun!
Glancing around now, Cosmos could see that not a single object had
been moved from its previous spot since he went for lunch.
Utterly baffled at the mysterious 'bot
that had been in his office, the autodog turned his full attention
back to the strange package; slowly reaching forward and lifting off
the top. Pausing, as he half expected it to either explode in his
face or for something to leap out at him, Cosmos set the lid aside,
before peering into the box's depth.
A book stared back at him, it's title
obscured by the simple note lying on top of its cover. Still being
cautious, the pryenees reached into the box, withdrawing both the
book and the note. His optics brightened as he saw the book was 'Much
Ado About Nothing', a play he'd been intent on reading for some time,
before he turned to see if the note had any clues as to who had
possibly given him such a thoughtful gift. In elegant scrawl, it
read:
“Sparks are not to be had as a
gift - sparks are to be earned”
Perhaps chance will be kind enough that I may earn yours. In the meantime though, it seems as if a sly cupid has given mine to you.
I pray you will treat it well.
Perhaps chance will be kind enough that I may earn yours. In the meantime though, it seems as if a sly cupid has given mine to you.
I pray you will treat it well.
The poor astronomer's cheekplates
burned with his rising blush, as he quickly put both book and note
back into their respective box. Shoving the lid back on the box,
Cosmos tried to busy himself with his star charts, his processor
still in a reel that he suddenly had a secret admirer.
Title: Practical Joke
Rating: PG
Summary: Cosmos' thoughts darken
There was yet another gift in his
office. Cosmos shifted his stack of textbooks, struggling to hold the
weight, even as he noticed the simple red box sitting neatly on top
of his paperwork. Biting his lip component nervously, the autodog was
quick to hurry further into the room, purposefully avoiding both gift
and desk. He set his textbooks down on an stool he found buried under
a series of star charts, turning his attention to his telescope and
the numerous tasks he knew he had to prepare for this evening. His
earlier notes had marked that a meteor would be making its way
through the Nebulos galaxy tonight; as an astronomer and as a simple
star lover, Cosmos wanted to be there the moment the meteor made its
journey, to witness and analyze any changes that might come about
during its travel.
It was hard though to focus or even
think about his wonderful stars, when that red box was still niggling
at the back of his processor.
Anxiously, the pyrenees glanced over a
shoulder plating to the innocent package, his servos tightening
around the telescope's circumference. This was the fourth gift he had
received from his anonymous sender, with no hint as to whom exactly
the admirer was. Only sweet words and more books.
Cosmos did not like it.
Turning his helm away, the astronomer
stared down at his pedes, rapidly shuttering his optics to force back
the coolant he could feel rising.
It had to be somebody's idea of a joke,
all of this, but it wasn't funny. Not one bit.
Rubbing at his face, Cosmos finished
changing the dials on his telescope, gently removing the scope from
its tripod and packing it up into its special, silk-laden carrying
case. Silently, the autodog disassembled the rest of the tripod,
packing it and the remaining instruments into another bag. In this,
he also slipped his datapad and a few spare pens. Slinging the bag
over one shoulder and grabbing the telescope case with his other
servo, Cosmos headed for the door; turning off the light and shutting
the door behind him.
Not once even thinking about the
present he had left untouched on his desk.
Title: Annoyance
Rating: T
Summary: Some annoyances can't be
deterred so easily
“What are you doing?”
Blast Off ignored the mockingly
innocent sing-song question, long claws stroking tenderly down each
of the books' spines. He scoured each of the titles before him,
searching for one decent enough for him to pick. Behind him, Vortex
smirked, leaning in and resting his chin on the older kittycon's
shoulder plating, winding his arms around the other's waist.
“Ignoring me now, Blasty?,” the
lynx cooed.
The brown mech elbowed his brother,
rolling his shoulder and forcing Vortex's helm away. “Go home,”
he replied flatly, not taking his attention off of the books before
him.
“Don't want to,” Vortex shot back,
leaning casually against the bookshelves now. He bent his helm a
little, trying to meet the siamese's optics. “You know, I'm aware
you like books and all, but this is almost obsessive. You've already
got at least two copies of that one.” The kittycon pointed to the
novel that Blast Off had just pulled down from the shelf; his older
brother was quick to give him a scathing look in return.
“So..... who are they for?”
The taller mech turned away, heading
back down the aisle. The lynx followed along, skipping, his arms
crossed behind his backstruts. “Aww, c'mon now,” he grinned,
“Don't be like that. Tell me; I honestly want to know.”
“I hardly see how it is any of your
concern,” Blast Off snipped, quickening his pace to the cash
register. He nodded politely at the smaller femme standing behind the
counter, handing her his purchase and reaching for his wallet. Vortex
sashayed up behind him, slamming a book down onto the counter as
well. The cashier blushed lightly as she glanced down at the cover;
the siamese frowned in turn, refraining from rolling his optical
sensors at the typical depiction of bodies entwined around each other
staring back at him.
With two digits, he lifted the book up,
putting the “Guide to Infinite Sexual Possibilities and Positions”
off to the side. “I will not be taking that,” he informed flatly.
“You suck,” Vortex whined, but the
corner of his lip components were quirked upwards, giving away his
amusement. “Why won't you buy me one book, huh? Aren't you supposed
to be nurturing my 'language skills'?”
“Go home,” Blast Off repeated. This
time, there was the tiniest hint of a growl in his vocalizer.
The poor femme helping them blanched,
hurrying now in her task to ring the kittycon through. If he'd cared,
the siamese might have offered her an apology. Taking the bag from
the cashier, Blast Off quickly spun on his heel, marching stiffly for
the door. A hard yank tugged at his rigid tail.
Snapping his helm around, the brown
mech narrowed his optics at a grinning Vortex, debating whether or
not he really wanted to slit the other's neck cables in public or to
wait until he returned home. Unaware of the danger (or possibly well
aware and as was common for him, having a swell of a time dancing on
the edge) the lynx bounced forward, pecking Blast Off on the
cheekplate as his sly fingers curled around the older 'bot's shoulder
plating. A warning hiss escaped the siamese, loud enough for Vortex
to actually take one step back, clasping his servos behind his
backstruts once again.
“You know, nothing you do will make
me go away,” he sing-songed.
“Well,” flashed the red visor, “Not
until you tell me about your crush, of course.”
Blast Off snorted, continuing on his
way silently. Pouting, Vortex hurried after his brother.
Title: Bump
Rating: PG
Summary: Cosmos runs into someone
while at the market
“O-oh....,” stuttered the pyrenees,
taking a step back in surprise. “Umm, h-hello?” Cosmos stared at
up at the tall kittycon, feeling even smaller and silly as he
clutched his basket to his chestplates. Those cold optics looked down
upon him silently, before the siamese was reaching up and easily
grabbing the jar of jam the autodog had been trying to get just
moments before.
“This is what you wanted, correct?,”
he asked, as he held out the item for Cosmos.
Cosmos nodded quickly, his cheekplates
beginning to darken with his blush. “Thank you,” he replied
softly, taking the jar and putting the jam into the basket. He looked
back up at the kittycon, but not knowing what else to say, his gaze
was quick to lower once more.
“Well, I-”
“Would you mind if I accompanied you
for a while? Just until you finish the rest of your shopping.”
Caught off-guard by the sudden inquiry,
the autodog stood there, gaping up at the stranger. Flushing further
as he realized the kittycon was actually waiting upon him for a
response, the pyrenees glanced down at his basket; mentally ticking
off what he had and didn't have, and mostly debating on what he
wanted to answer the other mech with. “I-i..... I suppose some
company would be nice,” Cosmos eventually said, lifting his chin.
He canted his helm at the stranger. “I... I'm afraid I don't know
your name.”
The siamese inclined his helm
apologetically. “That is entirely my fault. Our last meeting was
short, and I did not think to give you my name. Though you had been
gracious enough to supply me with your own.” Cosmos tried to wave
off the other's apology but the kittycon touched his servo lightly
with his claws, before peering deep into the autodog's baby blue
optics.
“No, what I did was disrespectful so
an apology is necessary. Still, I am deliberating; my name is Blast
Off, to get to the point.”
The pyrenees tried not to think of how
frightening it was to have those claws resting on the back of his
palm.... or how warm. Shyly, he retracted his servo, letting it
rejoin its brother around the basket's middle. “That's a lovely
name,” he smiled, still feeling nervous. His anxiety though was
quickly fading.
Maybe it was the way the kittycon held
himself or the gentle, but smart way he spoke, that made Cosmos feel
easier in this mech's presence than others of his kin. At his
response, Blast Off half-bowed, his arms crossing behind his
backstruts as he straightened. “Shall I carry your basket?,” he
offered, shocking the autodog once more.
“O-oh, no, no, no,” Cosmos
answered, his cheekplates burning brightly again with his blush.
“I....I will be alright. But thank you anyways for your kind
consideration.”
The siamese nodded curtly, not upset in
the slightest at the polite rejection, sweeping out an arm and
gesturing down the rest of the aisle. “Let us continue.”
Smiling, the pyrenees took the first
step, his new friend falling into pace beside him.
Title: Pondering
Rating: T
Summary: Blast Off thinks some
things over
Not for the first time, the siamese
found himself wondering about this little “crush” that he had. He
stared down at yet another box, a compilation of classic poems and
short works in one servo, waiting to be placed inside. A part of
Blast Off commented snidely that he was being silly, acting some
love-sick fool and sending presumptuous gifts and little love notes,
like many of the other 'bots that he loathed and despised. Another
part of him, a more rational and logical part, noted that he had
never once before come across a 'bot, whether kittycon or autodog,
that he hadn't felt was a waste of his time.
Of course, the kittycon was aware that
it was mostly his intrigue and his growing comfortableness around
Cosmos that was spear-heading the majority of his affections, but his
spark was still throwing in its own two-cents.
Just like now.
Blast Off recalled that orn in the
supermarket when he had run into Cosmos coincidentally while on an
errand for his sire. He remembered that flash of surprise he had felt
upon catching sight of the little autodog, and then the equally
sudden burst of arousal that followed as he watched the adorable
pyrenees struggle to reach for the jar of jam just a little too high
on the shelf for himself.
Yes, the siamese thought Cosmos was
adorable.
His petite stature, his large,
accentuated optics; the way his tiny lip components pursed in
surprise and the beautiful colour his plating turned as he blushed.
Even his plumpness increased his appeal to Blast Off, who, in a
strange phase of lust, wished to squish that delectable form under
his own and run his claws through that soft looking, fluffy fur.
Shaking the inappropriate thoughts from his helm, the kittycon turned
his attention back to the book in his servo and the box he was going
to put it into.
He wondered, as he always did, if
Cosmos had received any of his gifts or if he even cared for them in
the slightest. Really, if he had been smart, he would have asked the
pyrenees the other orn when they were shopping together, but the
thought -and his courage- had slipped away during their pleasant
discussions over various classical literature. Truly, Cosmos was
proving to be a delight to talk to. That was at least one solid bit
of proof as to why Blast Off should feel anything for the astronomer
other than total disdain.
Deciding it was pointless to continue
musing over uncertain things and the mysteries of one's spark any
longer, the kittycon set the book into the box, lovingly setting the
lid on and tying both a ribbon and a rose around its middle.
Soon, he told himself, soon he would
make his affections really known to the autodog and that would be the
time when he discovered if they were any benefit at all, or just
another burden among all the others in Blast Off's life.
Secretly, a part of him hoped it would
not be the latter.
Title: Visitor
Rating: M
Summary: Blast Off comes to see
Cosmos at work
“Is that right, Cosmos?”
The pyrenees turned at the question,
smiling up at Bulkhead. Today, the young mech had been kind enough to
assist him with his work. Needing a more thorough distraction from
the delivery of any further packages, Cosmos had kindly taken the
mastiff up on his offer. At the moment, the larger autodog was
polishing the largest glass at the telescope's top end; turning dials
and tightening the tiny bolts as he went. The astronomer hurried up
the tiny ladder on Bulkhead's right, peering at the other's
handiwork.
“Oh, yes,” he beamed, turning his
helm to the technician. “This looks quite fantastic. Thank you for
all your help.”
The young autodog blushed, a servo
reaching up and scratching behind his ear. “Y-yeah, well, it's
n-nothing really you kn-”
The sound of someone clearing their
vocalizer startled both the mechs. “Y-yes? Oh! H-hello, Blast Off,”
Cosmos greeted, turning slowly on the ladder. “I didn't expect to
see you here.”
The kittycon nodded mutely at the
pyrenees, his grey, narrowed optics sliding slowly to the other
autodog present. Bulkhead stiffened at the glare, shuffling nervously
in place. “Well, umm, I-i guess if I'm n-not needed anymore....,”
the technician mumbled, before putting down his polishing rag and
scurrying from the room.
Cosmos made a sound of a confusion, a
servo half lifting into the air, but it was too late. Bulkhead had
already gone. Baffled by the other's hasty exit, the pyrenees decided
to turn his attention back to his unexpected guest, smiling kindly as
he stepped down from the ladder.
“Hello again,” he said, “How are
you today Blast Off? Is there anything I can help you with?”
The astronomer noticed then the black
box cradled under the kittycon's arm. A lilac ribbon was wrapped
tight around its middle, and a simple rose could be seen peeking out
from the other side. His fuel tanks roiled nauseously as Cosmos
quickly stepped back from the siamese. “Is that.....? Y-you.....”
Blast Off stalked forwards quickly, his
gaze suddenly frightening to the small autodog. “Yes,” the taller
mech rumbled as he closed in on the pyrenees. “I was your 'secret
admirer'.... but it's apparent that my feelings are misplaced. You
may keep this,” he shoved the box into Cosmos' stunned servos, “and
the other gifts. I have no need for them any more.”
Cosmos didn't know what to say. His
knee joints felt weak and his processor was in a whirl, and he could
only flinch as his guest reached forward, sliding one claw down the
side of his face. For a moment, it looked as if the siamese might say
something..... but then his scowl tightened and he pulled away
viciously, turning and storming from the office.
Inexplicably, coolant flooded the
astronomer's optics; uncertainly, he glanced down at the gift in his
arms, catching sight of the note stuck on the front.
"Love consists in this, that
two solitudes protect and touch and greet each other"
I am not one usually for fanciful words or pretences of affections. Gifts are obnoxious concepts to me, and courtship seems a sly way of manipulating another individual. In essence, it all seems a waste of time.
But here and now, I confess, I have never spent more days and nights thinking about one person than I have about you. You still remain unknown to me, as I am certain I am merely a stranger to yourself, but I would gladly spend the rest of my days discovering who you are if you would but give me the briefest of your own attentions.
That is why I do not hesitate in giving you my name now. As I did say before, it would be impolite of me to continue to withhold such information, especially when I am writing spark-felt words for your very optics.
I am not one usually for fanciful words or pretences of affections. Gifts are obnoxious concepts to me, and courtship seems a sly way of manipulating another individual. In essence, it all seems a waste of time.
But here and now, I confess, I have never spent more days and nights thinking about one person than I have about you. You still remain unknown to me, as I am certain I am merely a stranger to yourself, but I would gladly spend the rest of my days discovering who you are if you would but give me the briefest of your own attentions.
That is why I do not hesitate in giving you my name now. As I did say before, it would be impolite of me to continue to withhold such information, especially when I am writing spark-felt words for your very optics.
When the stars shine this evening, I
will gaze upon them and be reminded of you. And perhaps I may even
wish for you to think of me as well. My dearest friend and holder of
my spark.
-Blast Off
His neck cables constricted as he read
the last of the beautifully written words, the black script swimming
before his vision as the tears finally cascaded down his cheekplates
and his spark withered painfully in his chassis. Cosmos' helm snapped
up, the last of his gifts held in a strangling grip as he stared
silently at the open door of his office.
Had...... had the kittycon really felt
that way about him? Foolish, messy, ugly, little him?
A small whimper escaped the pyrenees as
he crumpled to the floor, still weeping quietly; praying that Blast
Off might come back. But well aware that the other mech would never
return, and that he had lost a chance he never knew he had, let alone
believe was true.
Title: Crush
Rating: T
Summary: For the first time, Blast
Off feels the irony of that hateful word
Onslaught walked into the room, a broad
grin on his face, and his servos cupped behind his backstruts as he
puffed out his chestplates proudly. “Well now,” he beamed,
staring down at his oldest son sitting at their new kitchen table, “I
do believe congratulations are in order, no?”
The siamese sent him a dark glare.
Cheerfulness ebbing a little, the older
kittycon marched around the table, taking a seat across from Blast
Off. “Come now,” he gruffed. “I understand that you do not like
many things Vortex does -and neither do I, for that matter- but when
your younger brother sees fit to gossip to me about one of my sons
having a crush, I think I have the right to be proud.”
“So? Are you going to tell me about
this 'bot yourself? Or do I need to get Swindle to do some poking
about?,” Onslaught continued, folding his servos atop of the table.
Blast Off's glare increased before he
dropped it down to the book he grasped tightly in his claws. Catching
the slight tremors in the other's fingers, and the way his claws dug
a little into the leather binding, the rest of the serval's joy was
quick to fade away.
“What happened?,” he asked softly.
The concern was the last straw for the
siamese. He slammed his book onto the table, jumping to his pedes and
stomping for the hallway. “Blast Off!,” Onslaught growled. The
brown mech came to an abrupt stop, but refused to turn around and
face his sire. “Tell me what happened,” the older kittycon
requested, staring at his son's stiff shoulders. “I would like to
help if I can.”
Blast Off's frame only stiffened some
more. “There is nothing to 'help',” came the low hiss. “I was
merely a fool..... A stupid fool.....”
Not waiting for what the other's
response would be, the siamese marched from the room; still half-bent
in agony, his ears and tails rigid behind him. Alone now, Onslaught
sighed, staring at the table distantly as he listened to his normally
quiet and well-mannered child storm up to his room, slamming his door
as he shut himself away.
No comments:
Post a Comment